Every language has a word that means 'to eat'. My goal is to define it.

My photo
Bellingham, Washington, United States
Forks, Portland, Lyon - France, Paris - France, Portland and ending up in Bellingham.... the adventures of my life!

Find a Recipe

Sunday, October 24

Salade Niçoise

I had a can of tuna and I didn't want to make another tuna fish sandwich- so I let it hang out in the pantry until one night I was totally inspired a la Julia Child to make a salad niçoise.. my version.

Category:  Dinner OR Lunch, Main Dish, Salad


Frenchman Rating: 9/10, "Incredibly delicious, and surprisingly was not simply just a salad, but a filling meal."

Cost per Serving:  €2.53 per serving


 Ingredients
  • 1/2 sac of mache lettuce OR 1/2 head of any type of green leafy lettuce
  • 2 whole tomatoes, chopped into chunks  
  • 1 can of tuna (usually about 15oz can)
  • 2 lemons
  • 1 tin of sardines (suprisingly delicious, tastes like a rich tuna)
  • 1 large can green beans
  • 4 boiled eggs, shelled, chopped
  • 3/4 medium onion, sliced
  • 1/3 cup black olives (pitted or non pitted)
  • 3-4 baked or steamed potatoes
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • Salt/Pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Begin by opening the tuna, draining, opening the green beans, draining, and pretty much preparing everything (chopped tomatoes/eggs, sliced onions, steam the potatoes)..
  2. Mix up the '*super ball-samic dressing'
  3. Layer:
    1. Lettuce
    2. Tomatoes/Olives/Greenbeans
    3. Tuna/Onions with a little spritz of lemon juice or oregano
    4. Eggs
  4. Serve with dressing on side, or dressing tossed into it.  Serve with two slices of lemon. I like to ensure my potatoes are still warm when I do the tossing.. really goes well with a crusty bread.
*super ball-samic dressing
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tablespoon red wine
2 tsp grainy mustard
(Shake well, serve)


    1 comment:

    DBA Rat said...

    So, I baked a dark chocolate cake today with icing. For you. But you aren't here so your dad and brother will eat it. See, I can bake cakes for you too....